- Setare Nasiri 1
- Shahrzad Sheikh Hasani 2
- Azamosadat Mousavi 2
- Mitra Modarres Gilani 2
- Setare Akhavan 2
- Mohammad Rahim Rahim Vakili 3
1 Imam Khomeini Hospital, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
2 Valiasr Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
3 Imam Khomeini Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Introduction: Mesonephric adenocarcinoma of uterine cervix is a rare variant of primary endocervical adenocarcinoma and a few cases have been reported previously. In fact in non-metastatic adenocarcinoma of the cervix, less than 5% possess mesonephric type. Because of the low incidence of mesonephric adenocarcinoma, various methods have been proposed for treatment of mesonephric adenocarcinoma. Nevertheless, there is no unity in treatment approaches.
Case Presentation: Here, we present a 45-year woman who had bloody discharge for 6 months period. Hormonal proﬁle such as thyroid stimulating hormon (TSH) and prolactin was normal and all imaging studies showed a cervical ﬁbroma as a mass. Abdominal hysterectomy -bilateral salpingectomy was performed. After pathologic report as a mesonephric adenocarcinoma, she received radiation and then she was candidate for bilateral oophorectomy.
Conclusions: Because of the diversity and an unusual appearance of mesonephric adenocarcinoma with aproblematic case of cervical mass, it is very important to consider mesonephric adenocarcinoma as a type of diagnosis. Numerous diﬀerential diagnoses should be considered for management of this type of carcinoma. In order to make a diagnosis, deep biopsy of inﬁltrative mass of uterine cervix, is mandatory.
- Siegel R, Ward E, Brawley O, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2011: the impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths. CA Cancer J Clin. 2011;61(4):212-36. [DOI:10.3322/caac.20121]
- Horner MJ, Ries LAG, Krapcho M, Neyman N, Aminou R, Howlader N, et al. SEER Cancer statistics review, 1975-2006. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute.; 2009.
- Joseph C, Parker JR. The mesonphroid (hypernephroid)Carcinomayous pattern-a rare variant of primary endocervical adenocarcinoma. 2006
- Ferry JA, Scully RE. Mesonephric remnants, hyperplasia, and neoplasia in the uterine cervix. A study of 49 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 1990;14(12):1100-11. [DOI:10.1097/00000478-199012000-00002]
- Clement PB, Young RH, Keh P, Ostor AG, Scully RE. Malignant mesonephric neoplasms of the uterine cervix. A report of eight cases, including four with a malignant spindle cell component. Am J Surg Pathol. 1995;19(10):1158-71. [DOI:10.1097/00000478-199510000-00006]
- Silver SA, Devouassoux-Shisheboran M, Mezzetti TP, Tavassoli FA. Mesonephric adenocarcinomas of the uterine cervix: a study of 11 cases with immunohistochemical ﬁndings. Am J Surg Pathol. 2001;25(3):379-87. [DOI:10.1097/00000478-200103000-00013]
- Abdol A, Mohammad A. Non-squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix in zaria, northern nigeria: A clinico-pathological analysis. Ann Afr Med. 2006;5(3):118-21.
- Meyer R. Uber adeno-und karzinombildu arch. Anat. pathol. 1903;174:270-94. [DOI:10.1515/9783112372180-014]
- Faweett KJ, Dockerty. M. B. , Hunt A. B.mesonephric adenocarcinoma of cervix uteri:A clinical and pathological study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996:1068-79. [DOI:10.1016/S0002-9378(66)80006-6]
- Dierickx A, Goker M, Braems G, Tummers P, Van den Broecke R. Mesonephric adenocarcinoma of the cervix: Case report and literature review. Gynecol Oncol Rep. 2016;17:7-11. [DOI:10.1016/j.gore.2016.05.002]
- Tekin L, Yazici A, Akbaba E, Akin MN. Mesonephric adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix: A case report and review of the literature. J Pak Med Assoc. 2015;65(9):1016-7.
- Anagnostopoulos A, Ruthven S, Kingston R. Mesonephric adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix and literature review. BMJ Case Rep. 2012;2012 . [DOI:10.1136/bcr.01.2012.5632]
- Fukunaga M, Takahashi H, Yasuda M. Mesonephric adenocarcinoma of the uterine cervix: a case report with immunohistochemical and ultrastructural studies. Pathol Res Pract. 2008;204(9):671-6. [DOI:10.1016/j.prp.2008.01.008]
- Cervical cancer. . Estimated incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide in 2012 2012. [cited March 18]. Available from: http://globocan.iarc.fr/Pages/fact_sheets_cancer.aspx.
- Yap OW, Hendrickson MR, Teng NN, Kapp DS. Mesonephric adenocarcinoma of the cervix: a case report and review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol. 2006;103(3):1155-8. [PubMed: 17023031]. [DOI:10.1016/j.ygyno.2006.08.031]
- Smith HO, Tiﬀany MF, Qualls CR, Key CR. The rising incidence of adenocarcinoma relative to squamous cell carcinoma of the uterine cervix in the United States-a 24-year population-based study. Gynecol Oncol. 2000;78(2):97-105. doi: 10.1006/gyno.2000.5826. [DOI:10.1006/gyno.2000.5826]
- Jones MA, Andrews J, Tarraza HM. Mesonephric remnant hyperplasia of the cervix: a clinicopathologic analysis of 14 cases. Gynecol Oncol. 1993;49(1):41-7. [DOI:10.1006/gyno.1993.1083]
- Sedlis A, Bundy BN, Rotman MZ, Lentz SS, Muderspach LI, Zaino RJ. A randomized trial of pelvic radiation therapy versus no further therapy in selected patients with stage IB carcinoma of the cervix after radical hysterectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy: A Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Gynecol Oncol. 1999;73(2):177-83. [DOI:10.1006/gyno.1999.5387]