1 Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
2 Resident, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
3 Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
4 Associate Professor, Interventionist, Department of Radiology, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Introduction: Pseudoaneurysm of the uterine arteries is a rare cause of late postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) but could potentially be a life threatening complication.
Case Presentation: We report a case of a patient with pseudoaneurysm of the uterine arteries following a cesarean section, who presented with late PPH. Bilateral uterine artery ligation was done to conserve the uterus, however, the hemorrhage did not cease. In order to control the bleeding, embolization was suggested. During angiography, a pseudoaneurysm of the feeding femoral artery was noticed and embolization was performed to save the patient.
Discussion: Uterine artery pseudoaneurysm is one of the uncommon causes of secondary postpartum hemorrhage and could lead to a life-threatening situation. Management should be multidisciplinary and the gold standard for treatment and diagnosis is through interventional radiology.
- Ronsmans C, Graham WJ, Lancet Maternal Survival Series steering G. Maternal mortality: who, when, where, and why. Lancet. 2006;368(9542):1189-200. [DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(06)69380-X]
- Hoveyda F, MacKenzie IZ. Secondary postpartum haemorrhage: incidence, morbidity and current management. BJOG. 2001;108(9):927-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-5456(01)00230-3 [DOI:10.1111/j.1471-0528.2001.00230.x]
- Abu-Ghazza O, Hayes K, Chandraharan E, Belli AM. Vascular malformations in relation to obstetrics and gynaecology: diagnosis and treatment. Obstetr Gynaecol. 2010;12(2):87-93. [DOI:10.1576/toag.188.8.131.52573]
- Grivell RM, Reid KM, Mellor A. Uterine arteriovenous malformations: a review of the current literature. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2005;60(11):761-7. [DOI:10.1097/01.ogx.0000183684.67656.ba]
- Vascular malformations in relation to obstetrics and gynaecology: diagnosis and treatment. Obstetr Gynaecol. 2010;12(2):87-93. [DOI:10.1576/toag.184.108.40.206573]
- McGonegle SJ, Dziedzic TS, Thomas J, Hertzberg BS. Pseudoaneurysm of the uterine artery after an uncomplicated spontaneous vaginal delivery. J Ultrasound Med. 2006;25(12):1593-7. [DOI:10.7863/jum.2006.25.12.1593]
- Bauer ST, Bonanno C. Abnormal placentation. Semin Perinatol. 2009;33(2):88-96. [DOI:10.1053/j.semperi.2008.12.003]
- Hudon L, Belfort MA, Broome DR. Diagnosis and management of placenta percreta: a review. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 1998;53(8):509-17. [DOI:10.1097/00006254-199808000-00024]
- Delotte J, Chevallier P, Benoit B, Castillon JM, Bongain A. Pregnancy after embolization therapy for uterine arteriovenous malformation. Fertil Steril. 2006;85(1):228. [DOI:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2005.06.058]
- Sieber PR. Bladder necrosis secondary to pelvic artery embolization: case report and literature review. J Urol. 1994;151(2):422. [DOI:10.1016/S0022-5347(17)34969-8]