Maternal, Fetal and Neonatal Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Biology, Payame Noor University, Iran
Breast Feeding Research Center, Tehran university of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Backgroung: Given the importance of natural childbirth and emphasis on the normal vaginal delivery, and since important causes of having a C-section are lack of response to induction of labor with Syntocinon® injection and the fact that the cervix is unfavorable for labor.
Objective: The present study aims at achieving the best method of cervical ripening for pregnancy termination to reduce the C-section rate, labor duration, economic burden, and labor pain.
Methods: In this regard, the current study examined the eﬀect of hyoscine-N-butylbromide (HBB) on the progression of cervical ripening in normal vaginal delivery. In the current prospective double-blind controlled clinical trial, 60 pregnant females referred to Valiasr hospital (with the mean age of 27.2 years) were randomly divided into 2 groups of experimental and control; HBB and normal saline (placebo) were intravenously administered in the active phase of labor.
Results: The pain reduction in the patients, the duration of drug action until the cervical dilatation, the number of drug use for the full cervical dilatation, the time of the onset of the ﬁrst, second, and third stages of labor, the length of hospitalization until the delivery, the drug eﬀect on the fetus and mother, and the delivery method were evaluated in both groups. HBB signiﬁcantly reduced the duration of the ﬁrst stage of labor; however, it did not aﬀect the second and third stages. Moreover, no negative eﬀects were observed on the mother and fetus health.
Conclusion: According to the obtained results, it can be concluded that the intravenous injection of HBB can be applied as an eﬀective drug for labor progress; however, further clinical studies with larger sample sizes are required to conﬁrm these ﬁndings.
- Makvandi S, Tadayon M, Abbaspour M. Eﬀect of hyoscine-N-butyl bromide rectal suppository on labor progress in primigravid women: randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Croat Med J. 2011;52(2):159-63. [DOI:10.3325/cmj.2011.52.159]
- Qahtani NH, Hajeri FA. The eﬀect of hyoscine butylbromide in shortening the ﬁrst stage of labor: A double blind, randomized, controlled, clinical trial. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2011;7:495-500. [DOI:10.2147/TCRM.S16415]
- Gupta B, Nellore V, Mittal S. Drotaverine hydrochloride versus hyoscine-N-butylbromide in augmentation of labor. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008;100(3):244-7 [DOI:10.1016/j.ijgo.2007.08.020]
- Aggarwal P, Zutshi V, Batra S. Role of hyoscine N-butyl bromide (HBB, buscopan) as labor analgesic. Indian J Med Sci. 2008;62(5):179-84. [DOI:10.4103/0019-5359.40982]
- Raghavan R. The eﬀect of hyoscine butyl bromide on the ﬁrst stage of labour in term pregnancies. BJOG. 2008;115(8):1064.
- Samuels LA, Christie L, Roberts-Gittens B, Fletcher H, Frederick J. The eﬀect of hyoscine butylbromide on the ﬁrst stage of labour in term pregnancies. BJOG. 2007;114(12):1542-6. [DOI:10.1111/j.1471-0528.2007.01497.x]
- Raghavan R. The eﬀect of hyoscine butyl bromide on the ﬁrst stage of labour in term pregnancies. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 2008;115(8):1064.
- Sirohiwal D, Dahiya K, De M. Eﬃcacy of hyoscine-N-butyl bromide (Buscopan) suppositories as a cervical spasmolytic agent in labour. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005;45(2):128-9 [DOI:10.1111/j.1479-828X.2005.00359.x]
- Katzung BG, Masters SB, Trevor AJ. Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. ; 2004. International Edition. 2004.
- Boehm FH, Growdon JJ. The eﬀect of scopolamine on fetal heart rate baseline variability. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1974;120(8):1099-104. [DOI:10.1016/0002-9378(74)90156-2]
- Ayromlooi J, Tobias M, Berg P. The eﬀects of scopolamine and ancillary analgesics upon the fetal heart rate recording. J Reprod Med. 1980;25(6):323-6.
- Dunwoodie D, Glare P. Antiemetic Drugs. ; 2014. pp. 785-96. [DOI:10.1016/B978-0-323-05674-8.50148-1]
- Mortazavi F, Rakhshani MH. The eﬀect of Atropine, Hyoscine and Promethazine on the duration of labor stages and rate of labor progress in multiparous women. J Gorgan Univ Med Sci. 2004;6(2):92-6.
- Haultain FW, Swift BH. The Morphine-Hyoscine Method of Painless Childbirth: Or So-Called "Twilight Sleep.". Br Med J. 1916;2(2911):513-5. [DOI:10.1136/bmj.2.2911.513]
- Lindahl S, Olsson AK, Thomson D. Rectal premedication in children. Use of diazepam, morphine and hyoscine. Anaesthesia. 1981;36(4):376-9. [DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2044.1981.tb10241.x]
- Shenker L. Clinical experiences with fetal heart rate monitoring of one thousand patients in labor. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1973;115(8):1111-6. [DOI:10.1016/0002-9378(73)90561-9]
- Iravani M, Bekhradi Nasab H. Study of the eﬀects of intra venous injection of Hyoscine on parturition (labor). J Shahid Sadoughi Univ Med Sci Health. 2006;13(4):59-64.