Department of Sport Sciences, Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University, Tabriz, Iran
MSc Student of Physiology of Physical Activity and Health, Department of Sport Sciences, Azarbaijan Shahid Madani University, Tabriz, Iran
Background: Atherogenic indices are among risk factors of diabetes which can cause cardiovascular diseases. The purpose of this study was to examine the eﬀect of a 10-week aerobic training on atherogenic indices, lipid proﬁle, and body composition in women with type II diabetes.
Methods: In this quasi-experimental study, 40 postmenopausal women with type II diabetes (aged 40 to 60 years) were selected using convenience sampling method and were randomly assigned to experimental (n = 20) and control (n = 20) groups. The exercise protocol included a 10-week aerobic training [aerobic exercise and walking for 3d/wk, 45 to 60 min/d with 45 to 60% heart rate reserve (HRR)]. The atherogenic indices of non-HDL cholesterol (non-HDL-c), atherogenic index of plasma (AIP), low-density lipoprotein cholesterol to high-density lipoprotein ratio (LDL-c/HDL-c ratio), total cholesterol to high-density lipoprotein ratio (TC/HDL-c), lipid product index (LPA), lipid proﬁle, and body composition were measured before and after the intervention. The obtained data were analyzed using t-test. The statistical signiﬁcance criterion was set at P < 0.05.
Results: The results showed that the levels of TG, LDL-c/HDL-c, and TC/HDL-c signiﬁcantly decreased as a result of the intervention. However, the changes of LPA, AIP, HDL-c, LDL-c, TC, non-HDL-c, and body composition indices were not signiﬁcant.
Conclusions: Considering the results of the current study, it seems that aerobic exercise and walking with appropriate volume and intensity can aﬀect atherogenic indices, lipid proﬁle, and body composition in diabetic patients and can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, especially atherosclerosis, among these patients. Further studies are needed to achieve more accurate results.
- Beierwaltes WH, Prada J, Carretero OA. Eﬀect of glandular kallikrein on renin release in isolated rat glomeruli. Hypertension. 1985;7(1):27-31. [DOI:10.1161/01.HYP.7.1.27] [PMID]
- Zabetian A, Sanchez IM, Narayan KM, Hwang CK, Ali MK. Global rural diabetes prevalence: a systematic review and meta-analysis covering 1990-2012. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014;104(2):206-13. [DOI:10.1016/j.diabres.2014.01.005] [PMID]
- Esteghamati A, Gouya MM, Abbasi M, Delavari A, Alikhani S, Alaedini F, et al. Prevalence of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in the adult population of Iran: National Survey of Risk Factors for Non-Communicable Diseases of Iran. Diabetes Care. 2008;31(1):96-8. [DOI:10.2337/dc07-0959] [PMID]
- Fedewa MV, Gist NH, Evans EM, Dishman RK. Exercise and insulin resistance in youth: a meta-analysis. Pediatrics. 2014;133(1):e163-74. [DOI:10.1542/peds.2013-2718] [PMID]
- Lu W, Resnick HE, Jablonski KA, Jones KL, Jain AK, Howard WJ, et al. Non-HDL cholesterol as a predictor of cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes: the strong heart study. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(1):16-23. [DOI:10.2337/diacare.26.1.16] [PMID]
- Khalangot M, Tronko M, Kravchenko V, Kulchinska J, Hu G. Body mass index and the risk of total and cardiovascular mortality among patients with type 2 diabetes: a large prospective study in Ukraine. Heart. 2009;95(6):454-60. [DOI:10.1136/hrt.2008.150524] [PMID]
- Malin SK, Gerber R, Chipkin SR, Braun B. Independent and combined eﬀects of exercise training and metformin on insulin sensitivity in individuals with prediabetes. Diabetes Care. 2012;35(1):131-6. [DOI:10.2337/dc11-0925] [PMID]
- Imbs JL, Fontaine JL, Velly J, Schwartz J. [Renin secretion and perfusion pressure of the renal artery]. C R Acad Sci Hebd Seances Acad Sci D. 1969;268(8):1211-4. [
- Esteghamati A, Abbasi M, Rashidi A, Meysamie A, Khalilzadeh O, Haghazali M, et al. Optimal waist circumference cut-oﬀs for the diagnosis of metabolic syndrome in Iranian adults: results of the third national survey of risk factors of non-communicable diseases (SuRFNCD-2007). Diabet Med. 2009;26(7):745-6. [DOI:10.1111/j.1464-5491.2009.02756.x] [PMID]
- Sardar MA, Gaeini A, Ramezani J. The eﬀect of 8-weeks of regular physical activity on blood glucose, body mass index, maximal oxygen uptake (Vo2max) and risk factors cardiovascular diseases in patients with type of 1 diabetes mellitus. Iran J Endocrinol Metab. 2008;10(2):91-7.
- Yokoyama H, Oishi M, Kawai K, Sone H, Japan Diabetes Clinical Data Management Study G. Reduced GFR and microalbuminuria are independently associated with prevalent cardiovascular disease in Type 2 diabetes: JDDM study 16. Diabet Med. 2008;25(12):1426-32. [DOI:10.1111/j.1464-5491.2008.02592.x] [PMID]
- Ahmadi J, Ramezani A. Eﬀect of eight weeks of concurrent resistance and endurance consistency and resistance on strength, body composition and lipid proﬁles in 14 to 17 years overweight athletic boys. Sport Biosci. 2012;15:15-25.
- Ghorbanian B, Esmaeilzadeh D. Eﬀect of Progressive Resistance Training on Serum Lipocalin-2 and Lipid Proﬁles in In-active Men. Iran J Endocrinol Metab. 2017;18(5):378-85.
- Ogren SO, Fuxe K. Learning, brain noradrenaline and the pituitaryadrenal axis. Med Biol. 1974;52(6):399-405.
- Kondo T, Kobayashi I, Murakami M. Eﬀect of exercise on circulating adipokine levels in obese young women. Endocr J. 2006;53(2):189-95. [DOI:10.1507/endocrj.53.189] [PMID]
- Expert Committee on the Diagnosis and Classiﬁcation of Diabetes Mellitus . Report of the expert committee on the diagnosis and classiﬁcation of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(1):5-20. [DOI:10.2337/diacare.26.2007.S5] [PMID]
- Ghorbanian B, Saberi Y. The Eﬀects of Eight Weeks of Progressive Resistance Training on Eotaxin Serum Levels in Overweight and Obese Men. Armaghane Danesh. 2016;21(4):321-34.
- Shishehbor F, Hojati N, Jahanshahi AR, Haghighizadeh M. Eﬀects of Sesame Seed Consumption on Anthropometric Indices, Lipid Proﬁle and Atherogenic Index of Plasma in Women with Metabolic Syndrome. Iran J Endocrinol Metab. 2015;17(4):282-91.
- Kraus WE, Houmard JA, Duscha BD, Knetzger KJ, Wharton MB, McCartney JS, et al. Eﬀects of the amount and intensity of exercise on plasma lipoproteins. N Engl J Med. 2002;347(19):1483-92. [DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa020194] [PMID]
- Shearman J, Micklewright D, Hardcastle J, Hamlin M, Draper N. The Effect of physical activity on serum lipids, lipoprotein, and apolipoproteins. Arch Exerc Health Dis. 2010;1(2):43-9.
- Kim ES, Im JA, Kim KC, Park JH, Suh SH, Kang ES, et al. Improved insulin sensitivity and adiponectin level after exercise training in obese Korean youth. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007;15(12):3023-30. [DOI:10.1038/oby.2007.360] [PMID]
- LeMura LM, von Duvillard SP, Andreacci J, Klebez JM, Chelland SA, Russo J. Lipid and lipoprotein proﬁles, cardiovascular ﬁtness, body composition, and diet during and after resistance, aerobic and combination training in young women. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2000;82(5-6):451-8. [DOI:10.1007/s004210000234] [PMID]
- Kelley GA, Kelley KS. Eﬀects of aerobic exercise on non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in children and adolescents: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Prog Cardiovasc Nurs. 2008;23(3):128-32. [DOI:10.1111/j.1751-7117.2008.00002.x] [PMID]
- Hardman AE. Interaction of physical activity and diet: implications for lipoprotein metabolism. Public Health Nutr. 1999;2(3A):369-76. [DOI:10.1017/S1368980099000506] [PMID]
- Ghasemnian AA, Ghorbanian B, Ghorzi A. The eﬀects of 8 weeks oﬁntervalcombinedexercise trainingon risk factorsof asthma, insulin resistanceand some of the major physiological indices in overweight and obese adolescents. Sci J Kurdistan Univ Med Sci. 2014;19(1):67-77.
- You T, Nicklas BJ. Eﬀects of exercise on adipokines and the metabolic syndrome. Curr Diab Rep. 2008;8(1):7-11. [DOI:10.1007/s11892-008-0003-4] [PMID]
- Sniderman AD, Williams K, Contois JH, Monroe HM, McQueen MJ, de Graaf J, et al. A meta-analysis of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and apolipoprotein B as markers of cardiovascular risk. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2011;4(3):337-45. [DOI:10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.110.959247] [PMID]
- Choi KM, Kim JH, Cho GJ, Baik SH, Park HS, Kim SM. Eﬀect of exercise training on plasma visfatin and eotaxin levels. Eur J Endocrinol. 2007;157(4):437-42. [DOI:10.1530/EJE-07-0127] [PMID]
- Mogharnas MA, Gaeini AA. Eﬀects of endurance training on inﬂammatory markers and Lipid proﬁles in Wistar rats. J Sport Biosci. 2009;2(2):88-2.