Moroccan Military Field Hospital, Juba, South Sudan
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Military Training Hospital Mohammed V, Rabat, Morocco
Introduction: Giant ﬁbroadenomas are an uncommon breast tumor accounting for 0.5% to 2% of all cases of ﬁbroadenomas. Diagnosis is diﬃcult due to the rarity of giant ﬁbroadenomas and the resemblance of its clinical and imaging features with other breast neoplasms, especially phyllodes tumor.
Case Presentation: The authors report a rare case of giant ﬁbroadenoma in a 14-year-old South Sudanese female, which was suspected clinically, ultrasonography, and by ﬁne needle aspiration cytology and conﬁrmed by histopathology after total mass excision.
Conclusions: Fibroadenomas presenting a very large diameter could be mistaken with malignancy and other benign breast lesions. Fine needle aspiration biopsy and core needle biopsy appears fundamental to evaluate their benign nature. Conservative surgery using sub-mammary incision is the gold standard of treatment with good cosmesis.
- Morris A, Shaﬀer K. Recurrent Bilateral Giant Fibroadenomas of the Breasts. Radiol Case Rep. 2007;2(3):96. [DOI:10.2484/rcr.v2i3.96] [PMID]
- Gaurav K, Chandra G, Neelam K, Kumar S, Singla H, Yadav SK. A prepubertal girl with giant juvenile ﬁbroadenoma: A rare case report. Int J Surg Case Rep. 2015;16:87-9. [DOI:10.1016/j.ijscr.2015.09.026] [PMID]
- Abdelhadi MS. Giant juvenile ﬁbroadenoma: experience from a university hospital. J Family Community Med. 2005;12(2):91-5.
- McCague A, Davis JV. Giant ﬁbroadenoma in a 22 year old patient: case report and literature review. Breast Dis. 2010;31(1):49-52. [DOI:10.3233/BD-2009-0288] [PMID]
- Kupsik M, Yep B, Sulo S, Memmel H. Giant juvenile ﬁbroadenoma in a 9-year-old: A case presentation and review of the current literature. Breast Dis. 2017. [DOI:10.3233/BD-160250] [PMID]
- Jung YS, Lee KJ, Yoon TI, Kim MW, Yim HE, Kim YB, et al. Juvenile ﬁbroadenoma in 13-month-old female child. J Paediatr Child Health. 2005;41(1-2):78-9. [DOI:10.1111/j.1440-1754.2005.00545.x] [PMID]
- Ferdousee I, Arafat SM, Ahmed Z. An Adolescent Girl with Giant Fibroadenoma - A Case Report. Pol Przegl Chir. 2016;88(4):218-20. [DOI:10.1515/pjs-2016-0055] [PMID]
- Chang DS, McGrath MH. Management of benign tumors of the adolescent breast. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007;120(1):13e-9e. [DOI:10.1097/01.prs.0000264396.03452.62] [PMID]