1 Perinatology and Infertility Department, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
2 Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Zabol University of Medical Sciences, Zabol, Iran
Introduction: Utero-cutaneousﬁstulaisarareconditionfollowinguterinesurgeriesespeciallycesareansection. Thiskindof ﬁstula has various etiologies including drain use, iatrogenic trauma, endometriosis, multiple abdominal surgeries, incomplete closure of uterine wound during cesarean delivery, inﬂammatory processes related to intra-abdominal sepsis or infectious, and dislocation of intrauterine devices.
Case Presentation: This report deals with two unusual cases of utero-cutaneous ﬁstula. The patients referred with discharge from abdominal wall. The ﬁrst one had vesico-cutaneous ﬁstula simultaneously. Both of them had a second cesarean section. After four months of cesarean section, in ﬁstulography report of the ﬁrst case, it was found irregular ﬁstula tract associated with vagina following cannulation and contrast injection. In the second case, ultrasonography revealed the attachment of uterus to abdominal wall as well as accumulation and communication of the small amounts of ﬂuid from uterine cavity to abdomen wall. After conﬁrming the diagnosis, the repairing surgery was successfully planned.
Conclusions: Cesarean has some rare morbidity such as uterocutaneous ﬁstula that needs awareness of physician and patient. The early diagnosis and repairing of this abnormality is essential.
- Ruiz Arteaga JD, Valdez Murillo AN, Hernandez Trejo MC. [Utero-cutaneous ﬁstula: a case report and literature review]. Ginecol Obstet Mex. 2012;80(2):95-8.
- Gupta SK, Shukla VK, Varma DN, Roy SK. Uterocutaneous ﬁstula. Postgrad Med J. 1993;69(816):822-3. doi: 10.1136/pgmj.69.816.822. [DOI:10.1136/pgmj.69.816.822] [PMID]
- Seyhan A, Ata B, Sidal B, Urman B. Medical treatment of uterocutaneous ﬁstula with gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist administration. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;111(2 Pt 2):526-8. [DOI:10.1097/01.AOG.0000281670.94265.5c] [PMID]
- Lim PS, Shaﬁee MN, Ahmad S, Hashim Omar M. Utero-cutaneous ﬁstula after caesarean section secondary to red degeneration of intramural ﬁbroid. Sex Reprod Healthc. 2012;3(2):95-6. [DOI:10.1016/j.srhc.2012.03.002] [PMID]
- Pant PR. Utero-cuteneous ﬁstula: Rare complication of caesarean section. Nepal J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012;7(3):66-7. [DOI:10.3126/njog.v7i1.8842]
- Promsonthi P, Herabutya Y. Uterocutaneous ﬁstula in term abdominal pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2007;132(2):239-41. [DOI:10.1016/j.ejogrb.2006.04.041] [PMID]
- Eldem G, Turkbey B, Balas S, Akpinar E. MDCT diagnosis of uterocutaneous ﬁstula. Eur J Radiol. 2008;67(3):129-30. [DOI:10.1016/j.ejrex.2008.05.009]