Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 9 Day Hospital, Torbat Heydariyeh University of Medical Sciences, Torbat Heydariyeh, Iran
Introduction: HELLP syndrome is a life-threatening complication of preeclampsia. We report a young pregnant woman with HELLP syndrome who was diagnosed, managed, and delivered in a timely manner.
Case Presentation: A 23-year-old second gravida twin pregnant woman was referred to our clinic due to high blood pressure. After delivery, she experienced a hemolytic condition with elevated liver enzymes and thrombocytopenia, deﬁned as HELLP syndrome. After conﬁrmation of HELLP syndrome by laboratory tests, the patient underwent hemodialysis and plasmapheresis. 10 days later, she was discharged under good general condition.
Conclusions: Women with a history of HELLP syndrome are considered to have an increased risk of death. Therefore, this life threatening condition should be closely monitored and treated in a timely manner.
- Basama FM, Granger K. Case report: post partum class 1 HELLP syndrome. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2007;275(3):187-9. [DOI:10.1007/s00404-006-0199-y] [PMID]
- Pop-Trajkovic S, Antic V, Kopitovic V, Popovic J, Trenkic M, Vacic N. Postpartum HELLP syndrome-the case of lost battle. Ups J Med Sci. 2013;118(1):51-3. [DOI:10.3109/03009734.2012.725431] [PMID]
- Rath W, Faridi A, Dudenhausen JW. HELLP syndrome. J Perinat Med. 2000;28(4):249-60. [DOI:10.1515/JPM.2000.033] [PMID]
- Martin JJ, Owens MY, Keiser SD, Parrish MR, Tam Tam KB, Brewer JM, et al. Standardized Mississippi Protocol treatment of 190 patients with HELLP syndrome: slowing disease progression and preventing new major maternal morbidity. Hypertens Pregnancy. 2012;31(1):79-90. [DOI:10.3109/10641955.2010.525277] [PMID]
- Sibai BM, Taslimi MM, el-Nazer A, Amon E, Mabie BC, Ryan GM. Maternal-perinatal outcome associated with the syndrome of hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, and low platelets in severe preeclampsiaeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1986;155(3):501-9. [DOI:10.1016/0002-9378(86)90266-8]
- Sibai BM. Diagnosis, controversies, and management of the syndrome of hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, and low platelet count. Obstet Gynecol. 2004;103(5 Pt 1):981-91. [DOI:10.1097/01.AOG.0000126245.35811.2a] [PMID]
- Baxter JK, Weinstein L. HELLP Syndrome: The State of the Art. Obstetr Gynecol Survey. 2004;59(12):838-45. [DOI:10.1097/01.ogx.0000146948.19308.c5] [PMID]
- Haram K, Svendsen E, Abildgaard U. The HELLP syndrome: clinical issues and management. A Review. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2009;9:8. [DOI:10.1186/1471-2393-9-8] [PMID]
- Parnas M, Sheiner E, Shoham-Vardi I, Burstein E, Yermiahu T, Levi I, et al. Moderate to severe thrombocytopenia during pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2006;128(1-2):163-8. [DOI:10.1016/j.ejogrb.2005.12.031] [PMID]
- Page LM, Girling JC. A novel cause for abnormal liver function tests in pregnancy and the puerperium: non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. BJOG. 2011;118(12):1532-5. [DOI:10.1111/j.1471-0528.2011.03070.x] [PMID]
- Martin JJ, Blake PG, Perry KJ, McCaul JF, Hess LW, Martin RW. The natural history of HELLP syndrome: patterns of disease progression and regression. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991;164(6 Pt 1):1500-9. [DOI:10.1016/0002-9378(91)91429-Z]
- Cho FN, Chen SN, Kan YY, Lee TC, Wang JS. Successful management of a pregnant woman with HELLP syndrome, pulmonary edema, postpartum hemorrhage and acute renal failure, using early hemodialysis, intravenous immunoglobulin and noninvasive monitoring: a case report. J Reprod Med. 2007;52(7):661-3.
- Audibert F, Friedman SA, Frangieh AY, Sibai BM. Clinical utility of strict diagnostic criteria for the HELLP (hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, and low platelets) syndrome. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996;175(2):460-4. [DOI:10.1016/S0002-9378(96)70162-X]
- Martin JJ, Rinehart BK, May WL, Magann EF, Terrone DA, Blake PG. The spectrum of severe preeclampsia: comparative analysis by HELLP (hemolysis, elevated liver enzyme levels, and low platelet count) syndrome classiﬁcation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1999;180(6 Pt 1):1373-84. [DOI:10.1016/S0002-9378(99)70022-0]
- Altamura C, Vasapollo B, Tibuzzi F, Novelli GP, Valensise H, Rossini PM, et al. Postpartum cerebellar infarction and haemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, low platelet (HELLP) syndrome. Neurol Sci. 2005;26(1):40-2. [DOI:10.1007/s10072-005-0380-2] [PMID]
- Soh Y, Yasuhi I, Nakayama D, Ishimaru T. A case of postpartum cerebellar infarction with hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, low platelets (HELLP) syndrome. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2002;53(4):240-2. [DOI:10.1159/000064564] [PMID]
- Zeidman LA, Videnovic A, Bernstein LP, Pellar CA. Lethal pontine hemorrhage in postpartum syndrome of hemolysis, elevated liver enzyme levels, and low platelet count. Arch Neurol. 2005;62(7):1150-3. [DOI:10.1001/archneur.62.7.1150] [PMID]
- Sibai BM, Ramadan MK, Usta I, Salama M, Mercer BM, Friedman SA. Maternal morbidity and mortality in 442 pregnancies with hemolysis, elevated liver enzymes, and low platelets (HELLP syndrome). Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993;169(4):1000-6. [DOI:10.1016/0002-9378(93)90043-I]
- Osmanagaoglu MA, Osmanagaoglu S, Ulusoy H, Bozkaya H. Maternal outcome in HELLP syndrome requiring intensive care management in a Turkish hospital. Sao Paulo Med J. 2006;124(2):85-9. [DOI:10.1590/S1516-31802006000200007] [PMID]