Gynecology Oncology Department, Vali-Asr Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Hematology Oncology Department, Vali-Asr Hospital ,Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) is the fifth leading cause of cancer death in women. Primary surgery, followed by adjuvant chemotherapy is the basis of treatment for this disease. A standard treatment includes primary surgery and if possible optimal debulking surgery (tumor residue of <; 1 cm), followed by a chemotherapy; paclitaxel carboplatin is the standard regimen in ovarian cancer. Given that the main method of spreading this disease is in the peritoneal cavity, the systemic chemotherapy brings about numerous complications; moreover, as the method of prescribing a drug inside the peritoneum causes a high drug concentration in the peritoneal cavity, conducting an intraperitoneal chemotherapy has been examined clinically. In cases of ovarian cancer recurrence, performing a secondary cytoreductive surgery, in addition to hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC), has led to a good survival among patients. Currently, studies are ongoing to better explain the effects of this treatment method compared to previous methods.
- Yancik R. Ovarian cancer. Age contrasts in incidence, histology, disease stage at diagnosis, and mortality. Cancer. 1993;71(2 Suppl):517-23. [DOI:10.1002/cncr.2820710205] [PMID]
- Prat J, Figo Committee on Gynecologic Oncology . Staging classiﬁcation for cancer of the ovary, fallopian tube, and peritoneum. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2014;124(1):1-5. [DOI:10.1016/j.ijgo.2013.10.001] [PMID]
- Bristow RE, Tomacruz RS, Armstrong DK, Trimble EL, Montz FJ. Survival eﬀect of maximal cytoreductive surgery for advanced ovarian carcinoma during the platinum era: a meta-analysis. J Clin Oncol. 2002;20(5):1248-59. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2002.20.5.1248. [DOI:10.1200/JCO.2002.20.5.1248] [PMID]
- McGuire WP, Hoskins WJ, Brady MF, Kucera PR, Partridge EE, Look KY, et al. Cyclophosphamide and cisplatin compared with paclitaxel and cisplatin in patients with stage III and stage IV ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med. 1996;334(1):1-6. [DOI:10.1056/NEJM199601043340101] [PMID]
- Ozols RF, Bundy BN, Greer BE, Fowler JM, Clarke-Pearson D, Burger RA, et al. Phase III trial of carboplatin and paclitaxel compared with cisplatin and paclitaxel in patients with optimally resected stage III ovarian cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol. 2003;21(17):3194-200. [DOI:10.1200/JCO.2003.02.153] [PMID]
- Ozolos RF, Young RC. Epithelial ovarian cancer. Curr Probl Cancer. 1988;11:57-122. [DOI:10.1016/S0147-0272(87)80004-1]
- Leitao MJ, Chi DS. Surgical management of recurrent ovarian cancer. Semin Oncol. 2009;36(2):106-11. [DOI:10.1053/j.seminoncol.2008.12.002] [PMID]
- Armstrong DK, Bundy B, Wenzel L, Huang HQ, Baergen R, Lele S, et al. Intraperitoneal cisplatin and paclitaxel in ovarian cancer. N Engl J Med. 2006;354(1):34-43. [DOI:10.1056/NEJMoa052985] [PMID]
- Helm CW. The role of hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in ovarian cancer. Oncologist. 2009;14(7):683-94. [DOI:10.1634/theoncologist.2008-0275] [PMID]
- Markman M. Intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the management of malignant disease. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2001;1(1):142-8. [DOI:10.1586/1473718.104.22.168] [PMID]
- Mackay HJ, Provencheur D, Heywood M, Tu D, Eisenhauer EA, Oza AM, et al. Phase ii/iii study of intraperitoneal chemotherapy after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for ovarian cancer: ncic ctg ov.21. Curr Oncol. 2011;18(2):84-90. [DOI:10.3747/co.v18i2.725] [PMID]
- Dedrick RL, Myers CE, Bungay PM, DeVita VJ. Pharmacokinetic rationale for peritoneal drug administration in the treatment of ovarian cancer. Cancer Treat Rep. 1978;62(1):1-11.
- Balthasar JP, Fung HL. Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic optimization of intraperitoneal chemotherapy. Life Sci. 1996;58(7):535-43. [DOI:10.1016/0024-3205(95)02200-7]
- Fujiwara K, Nagao S, Kigawa J, Noma J, Akamatsu N, Miyagi Y, et al. Phase II study of intraperitoneal carboplatin with intravenous paclitaxel in patients with suboptimal residual epithelial ovarian or primary peritoneal cancer: a Sankai Gynecology Cancer Study Group Study. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2009;19(5):834-7. [DOI:10.1111/IGC.0b013e3181a29dfe] [PMID]
- Smith ER, Borowsky ME, Jain VD. Intraperitoneal chemotherapy in a pregnant woman with ovarian cancer. Obstet Gynecol. 2013;122(2 Pt 2):481-3. [DOI:10.1097/AOG.0b013e31828a845a] [PMID]
- Fujiwara K, Aotani E, Hamano T, Nagao S, Yoshikawa H, Sugiyama T, et al. A randomized Phase II/III trial of 3 weekly intraperitoneal versus intravenous carboplatin in combination with intravenous weekly dose-dense paclitaxel for newly diagnosed ovarian, fallopian tube and primary peritoneal cancer. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2011;41(2):278-82. [DOI:10.1093/jjco/hyq182] [PMID]
- Walker JL, Armstrong DK, Huang HQ, Fowler J, Webster K, Burger RA, et al. Intraperitoneal catheter outcomes in a phase III trial of intravenous versus intraperitoneal chemotherapy in optimal stage III ovarian and primary peritoneal cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Gynecol Oncol. 2006;100(1):27-32. [DOI:10.1016/j.ygyno.2005.11.013] [PMID]
- Marth C, Walker JL, Barakat RR, Casado A, Gadducci A, Miller B, et al. Results of the 2006 Innsbruck International Consensus Conference on intraperitoneal chemotherapy in patients with ovarian cancer. Cancer. 2007;109(4):645-9. [DOI:10.1002/cncr.22467] [PMID]
- http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/ovarian.pdf. [Available in Oct/18/2017].
- Munkarah AR, Coleman RL. Critical evaluation of secondary cytoreduction in recurrent ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2004;95(2):273-80. [DOI:10.1016/j.ygyno.2004.09.018] [PMID]
- Saladino E, Fleres F, Irato S, Famulari C, Macri A. The role of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the treatment of ovarian cancer relapse. Updates Surg. 2014;66(2):109-13. [DOI:10.1007/s13304-013-0229-9] [PMID]
- Fujiwara K. Three ongoing intraperitoneal chemotherapy trials in ovarian cancer. J Gynecol Oncol. 2012;23(2):75-7. [DOI:10.3802/jgo.2012.23.2.75] [PMID]
- Le T, Latifah H, Jolicoeur L, Faught W, Weberpals J, Hopkins L, et al. Comparative study of grade 3/4 toxicity associated with intraperitoneal chemotherapy administered after primary versus interval surgical debulking in ovarian cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2011;21(5):811-5.
- Verwaal VJ, van Tinteren H, Ruth SV, Zoetmulder FA. Toxicity of cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intra-peritoneal chemotherapy. J Surg Oncol. 2004;85(2):61-7. [DOI:10.1002/jso.20013] [PMID]
- Hill AR, McQuellon RP, Russell GB, Shen P, Stewart J, Levine EA. Survival and quality of life following cytoreductive surgery plus hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for peritoneal carcinomatosis of colonic origin. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;18(13):3673-9. [DOI:10.1245/s10434-011-1793-1] [PMID]