1 Gynecology & Obstetrics Department, Medical Faculty, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran.
2 Radiology Department, Medical Faculty, Urmia University of Medical Sciences, Urmia, Iran.
Aims: Morbidly adherent placenta/Placenta accreta syndrome refers to morbid implantation, invasion, and/or adhesion of a placenta, whose incidence rate has increased due to the growing trend of cesarean section. Diagnosing placenta accreta before delivery plays a crucial role in reducing morbidity and mortality of the mother and fetus. This study aimed at evaluating the diagnostic value of the Doppler ultrasonography in diagnosis of morbidly adherent placenta.
Instruments and Methods: In this descriptive-analytical study, 150 singleton pregnant women with gestational age of ≥24 weeks with a history of uterine incision (C/S, myomectomy, or metroplasty), underwent a Doppler ultrasonography to detect the position of placenta and evidence for adherent placenta. The data were analyzed by SPPS 21 software.
Findings: Twelve patients underwent the cesarean-hysterectomy during their cesarean sections due to severe bleeding and morbidly adherent placenta. In terms of pathologic findings, placenta accreta, placenta increta, and placenta percreta were reported in 7 cases, 3 cases, and 1 case, respectively. The Doppler ultrasonography had a sensitivity of 91.67%, a specificity of 100%, a positive predictive value of 100%, and a negative predictive value of 99.28% in the diagnosis of morbidly adherent placenta.
Conclusion: The thinning or absence of the retroplacental myometrial thickness and the large retroplacental lacunae are the most powerful ultrasonographic markers in the diagnosis of the placenta accreta such that the negativity of these markers can be interpreted as the absence of placenta accreta and the positivity of them can be interpreted as the presence of the placenta accreta.
- Bloom SL, Corton MM, Spong CY, Dashe JS, Leveno KJ, Gary Cunningham F, et al. Williams obstetrics 24/e. New York: MacGrow-Hill Education; 2014. pp. 804-8.
- Wadhwa L, Gupta S, Gupta P, Satija B, Khanna R. Morbidly adherent placenta (MAP): Lessons learnt. Open Obstet Gynecol. 2013;3(1A):217-21. [DOI:10.4236/ojog.2013.31A040]
- Wong HS, Cheung YK, Zuccollo J, Tait J, Pringle KC. Evaluation of sonographic diagnostic criteria for placenta accreta. J Clin Ultrasound. 2008;36(9):551-9. [DOI:10.1002/jcu.20524] [PMID]
- The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, women's health care physicians . Placenta accrete [Internet]. Washington DC: The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2012 [cited 2016 May 20]. Available from: https://www.acog.org/Clinical-Guidance-and-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Placenta-Accreta.
- Algebally AM, Yousef RRH, Badr SSH, Al Obeidly A, Szmigielski W, Al Ibrahim AA. The value of ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging in diagnostics and prediction of morbidity in cases of placenta previa with abnormal placentation. Pol J Radiol. 2014;79:409-16. [DOI:10.12659/PJR.891252] [PMID]
- Eshkoli T, Weintraub AY, Sergienko R, Sheiner E. Placenta accreta: Risk factors, perinatal outcomes, and consequences for subsequent births. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013;208(3):219.e1-7. [DOI:10.1016/j.ajog.2012.12.037] [PMID]
- Twickler DM, Lucas MJ, Balis AB, Santos-Ramos R, Martin L, Malone S, et al. Color flow mapping for myometrial invasion in women with a prior cesarean delivery. J Matern Fetal Med. 2000;9(6):330-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/1520-6661(200011/12)9:6<330::AID-MFM1002>3.0.CO;2-O [DOI:10.3109/14767050009018421]
- Calì G, Giambanco L, Puccio G, Forlani F. Morbidly adherent placenta: Evaluation of ultrasound diagnostic criteria and differentiation of placenta accreta from percreta. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2013;41(4):406-12. [DOI:10.1002/uog.12385] [PMID]
- Lax A, Prince MR, Mennitt KW, Reid Schwebach J, Budorick NE. The value of specific MRI features in the evaluation of suspected placental invasion. Magn Resonance Imaging. 2007;25(1):87-93. [DOI:10.1016/j.mri.2006.10.007] [PMID]
- Dwyer BK, Belogolovkin V, Tran L, Rao A, Carroll I, Barth R, et al. Prenatal diagnosis of placenta accrete: Sonography or magnetic resonance imaging?. J Ultrasound Med. 2008;27(9):1275-81. [DOI:10.7863/jum.2008.27.9.1275] [PMID]
- Abdel Moniem AM, Ibrahim A, Akl SA, Aboul-Enen L, Abdelazim IA. Accuracy of three-dimensional multislice view Doppler in diagnosis of morbid adherent placenta. J Turk Ger Gynecol Assoc. 2015;16(3):126-36. [DOI:10.5152/jtgga.2015.15038] [PMID]
- Doyle N, Pullen J, Holliday M, Gardner M. 108: 3D ultrasound: The best view of placenta accreta. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015;212(1):S72. [DOI:10.1016/j.ajog.2014.10.154]
- Riteau AS, Tassin M, Chambon G, Le Vaillaut C, De Laveaucoupet J, Quéré MP, et al. Accuracy of ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of placenta accreta. Plos One. 2014;9(4):e94866. [DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0094866] [PMID]
- Moretti F, Merziotis M, Ferraro ZM, Oppenheimer L, Fung Kee Fung K. The importance of a late first trimester placental sonogram in patients at risk of abnormal placentation. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol. 2014;2014:345348. [DOI:10.1155/2014/345348] [PMID]
- Baughman WC, Corteville JE, Shah RR. Placenta accreta: Spectrum of US and MR imaging findings. Radiographics. 2008;28(7):1905-16. [DOI:10.1148/rg.287085060] [PMID]
- Cheung CS, Chan BC. The sonographic appearance and obstetric management of placenta accreta. Int J Womens Health. 2012;4:587-94. [DOI:10.2147/IJWH.S28853] [PMID]
- Oyelese Y, Smulian JC. Placenta previa, placenta accreta, and vasa previa. Obstet Gynecol. 2006;107(4):927-41. [DOI:10.1097/01.AOG.0000207559.15715.98] [PMID]
- Kerr De Mendonca L. Sonographic diagnosis of placenta accrete, presentation of six cases. J Ultrasound Med. 1988;7(4):211-5. [DOI:10.7863/jum.1922.214.171.124] [PMID]
- Hamada S, Hasegawa J, Nakamura M, Matsuoka R, Ichizuka K, Sekizawa A, et al. Ultrasonographic findings of placenta lacunae and a lack of a clear zone in cases with placenta previa and normal placenta. Prenat Diagn. 2011;31(11):1062-5. [DOI:10.1002/pd.2833] [PMID]
- Doumouchtsis SK, Arulkumaran S. The morbidly adherent placenta: An overview of management options. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2010;89(9):1126-33. [DOI:10.3109/00016349.2010.503869] [PMID]
- Rahimi Sharbaf F, Jamal A, Mesdaghinia E, Abedzadeh Kalahroudi M, Niroomanesh S, Atoof F. Ultrasound detection of placenta accreta in the first trimester of pregnancy. Iran J Reprod Med. 2014;12(6):421-6.
- Jauniaux E, Jurkovic D. Placenta accreta: Pathogenesis of a 20th century iatrogenic uterine disease. Placenta. 2012;33(4):244-51. [DOI:10.1016/j.placenta.2011.11.010] [PMID]