Gynecology Department, Flow-ship of Gynecology Oncology Medicine Faculty, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Surgery Department, Medicine Faculty, Ardebil University of Medical Sciences, Ardebil, Iran.
Forensic Medicine Department, Medicine Faculty, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
Introduction: Bartholin gland primary cancer occurs scarcely. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the Bartholin gland is one of the rarest types of primary adenocarcinoma. Treatment delayed can lead to high rate of local recurrence and distant metastasis. The aim of this experimental case study was to discuss a woman with misdiagnosed and mistreated ACC-BG, as a benign situation.
Patient Information: In this experimental case study, a 54-year-old woman referred to Joint Committee in Gynecology Oncology Department of Imam Khomeini Hospital of Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran on Aug 2016 with a large mass within her vaginal distal wall. This woman was undertaken marsupialization for Bartholin cyst. Because of the bizarre manifestation of intervention, the biopsy was performed and revealed as adenoid cystic carcinoma of the Bartholin gland. Therefore, wide local excision and ipsilateral inguinal lymphadenectomy were considered. Adjuvant irradiation was planned. nificant difference in glucose levels in the first and second fingertip blood drops (p=0.257), while there was a significant difference between glucose levels in the first and second fingertip blood drops with standard venous sample (p<0.05). There was also a significant correlation between 2 drops in expression of glucometry results.
Conclusion: Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the Bartholin gland is very rare, but despite its low prevalence, it should be considered especially in the older patient or when the Bartholin cyst is unusually large and sticking to the surrounding tissue to prevent delays in diagnosis and treatment
- Takatori E, Shoji T, Miura J, Takeuchi S, Sugiyama T. Chemoradiotherapy with irinotecan (CPT-11) for adenoid cystic carcinoma of Bartholin's gland: A case report and review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol Case Rep. 2013;4:16-9. [DOI:10.1016/j.gynor.2012.12.003] [PMID]
- Shahabi S, Nathan LM, Chanana C, Garett W, Zheng W, Rutherford TJ. Liver metastasis in a case of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the Bartholin's gland: A rare presentation. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2009;279(5):747-50.
- Yang SY, Lee JW, Kim WS, Jung KL, Lee SJ, Lee JH, et al. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the Bartholin's gland: Rport of two cases and review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol. 2006;100(2):422-5. [DOI:10.1016/j.ygyno.2005.08.030] [PMID]
- Alsan CI, Vinh-Hung V, Eren F, Abacioğlu U. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the Bartholin's gland: Case report and systematic review of the literature. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2011;32(5):567-72.
- Finan MA, Barre G. Bartholin's gland carcinoma, malignant melanoma and other rare tumours of the vulva. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2003;17(4):609-33. [DOI:10.1016/S1521-6934(03)00039-7]
- Rosenberg P, Simonsen E, Risberg B. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of Bartholin's gland: A report of five new cases treated with surgery and radiotherapy. Gynecol Oncol. 1989;34(2):145-7. [DOI:10.1016/0090-8258(89)90130-3]
- Sisodia SM, Ali Khan WAZ, Ansari SAH, Mahajan V. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of Bartholin's gland: Report of a case and review of literature. South Asian J Cancer. 2013;2(1):18. [DOI:10.4103/2278-330X.105883] [PMID]
- Yoon G, Kim HS, Lee YY, Kim TJ, Choi CH, Song SY, et al. Analysis of clinical outcomes of patients with adenoid cystic carcinoma of Bartholin glands. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8(5):5688-94.
- Akbarzadeh Jahromi M, Sari Aslani F, Omidifar N, Amooee S. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of Bartholin's gland clinically mimics endometriosis, a case report. Iran J Med Sci. 2014;39(6):580-3.
- Krasević M, Haller H, Iternicka Z, Valstelić I, Matejcić N. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of Bartholin's gland: A case report. Eur J Gynaecol Oncol. 2001;22(3):213-4.
- Kumar R, Singhal M, Acharya R, Kudesia S, Chawla N. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of Bartholin's gland-A rare entity likely to be misdiagnosed. Rev Esp Patol. 2011;44(4):213-5. [Spanish] [DOI:10.1016/j.patol.2011.05.003]
- Copeland LJ, Sneige N, Gershenson DM, Saul PB, Stringer CA, Seski JC. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of Bartholin gland. Obstet Gynecol. 1986;67(1):115-20. [DOI:10.1097/00006250-198606000-00009] [PMID]