Obstetrics & Gynecology Department, Medicine Faculty, Shiraz University Of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Aims: Ovarian endometrioma is a prevalent gynecologic disease in women of reproductive age that is accompanied with a number of symptoms and has a high recurrence rate after hormone therapy and surgery. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effectiveness of sclerotherapy with 95% ethanol in patients with recurrent ovarian endometriomas.
Materials & Methods: In this pre-post clinical trial, 14 patients with infertility and recurrent ovarian endometriomas were examined during a period from December 2012 to December 2013 in Ghadir Mother and Child Hospital affiliated with Shiraz University of Medical Sciences. These subjects had undergone a laparotomy to remove their cysts at least once. They were selected using convenience sampling method. The patients underwent sclerotherapy with 95% ethanol and referred 1, 3, 6, and 12 months after the procedure for their periodic examinations and levels of FSH, AMH, CA125, E2, AFC, mass size, and pelvic pain were measured. The data were analyzed using repeated measures analysis of variance (ANOVA) by SPSS 14 software.
Findings: While the level of FSH significantly decreased (p=0.01), the AMH level began to increase after the treatment (p=0.17); however, this increase was not significant. The AFC level increased with the aid of the treatment (p=0.002). The mass size and the patients’ pain also significantly decreased (p<0.05). Four cases of pregnancy happened. In 2 of the patients, the cysts recurred and grew again.
Conclusion: Sclerotherapy with 95% ethanol can be used as an appropriate alternative therapy in patients with recurrent endometriomas.
- Alborzi S, Zarei A, Alborzi M. Management of ovarian endometrioma. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2006;49(3):480-91. [DOI:10.1097/00003081-200609000-00008] [PMID]
- Vercellini P, Chapron C, De Giorgi O, Consonni D, Frontino G, Crosignani PG. Coagulation or excision of ovarian endometriomas? Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003;188(8):606-10. [DOI:10.1067/mob.2003.7] [PMID]
- Chapron C, Vercellini P, Barakat H, Vieira M, Dubuisson JB. Management of ovarian endometriomas. Hum Reprod Update. 2002;8(6):591-7. [DOI:10.1093/humupd/8.6.591] [PMID]
- Garcia-Velasco JA, Somigliana E. Management of endometriomas in women requiring IVF: To touch or not to touch. Hum Reprod. 2009;24(3):496-501. [DOI:10.1093/humrep/den398] [PMID]
- Tsoumpou I, Kyrgiou M, Gelbaya TA, Nardo LG. The effect of surgical treatment for endometrioma on in vitro fertilization outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Fertil Steril. 2009;92(1):75-87. [DOI:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.05.049] [PMID]
- Chang HJ, Han SH, Lee JR, Jee BC, Lee BI, Suh CS, Kim SH. Impact of laparoscopic cystectomy on ovarian reserve: serial changes of serum anti-Müllerian hormone levels. Fertil Steril. 2010;94(1):343-9. [DOI:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2009.02.022] [PMID]
- López de la Torre MA, Abrao HM, Fernandes LF, Kho RM, Abrao MS. Ten principles for safe surgical treatment of ovarian endometriosis. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2017;24(2):203-4. [DOI:10.1016/j.jmig.2016.11.009] [PMID]
- Hirokawa W, Iwase A, Goto M, Takikawa S, Nagatomo Y, Nakahara T, et al. The post-operative decline in serum antiMullerian hormone correlates with the bilaterality and severity of endometriosis. Hum Reprod. 2011;26(4):904-10. [DOI:10.1093/humrep/der006] [PMID]
- Celik HG, Dogan E, Okyay E, Ulukus C, Saatli B, Uysal S, Koyuncuoglu M. Effect of laparoscopic excision of endometriomas on ovarian reserve: serial changes in the serum antimüllerian hormone levels. Fertil Steril. 2012;97(6):1472-8. [DOI:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2012.03.027] [PMID]
- Zhu W, Tan Z, Fu Z, Li X, Chen X, Zhou Y. Repeat transvaginal ultrasound-guided aspiration of ovarian endometrioma in infertile women with endometriosis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011;204(1):61.e1-6. [DOI:10.1016/j.ajog.2010.08.040] [PMID]
- Chan LY, So WW, Lao TT. Rapid recurrence of endometrioma after transvaginal ultrasound-guided aspiration. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2003;109(2):196-8. [DOI:10.1016/S0301-2115(03)00011-3]
- Kars B, Buyukbayrak EE, Karsidag AYK, Pirimoglu M, Unal O, Turan C. Comparison of success rates of 'transvaginal aspiration and tetracycline sclerotherapy' versus 'only aspiration' in the management of non-neoplastic ovarian cysts. J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2012;38(1):65-9. [DOI:10.1111/j.1447-0756.2011.01627.x] [PMID]
- García-Tejedor A, Castellarnau M, Ponce J, Fernández ME, Burdio F. Ethanol sclerotherapy of ovarian endometrioma: a safe and effective minimal invasive procedure. Preliminary results. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2015;187:25-9. [DOI:10.1016/j.ejogrb.2015.02.004] [PMID]
- Yazbeck C, Madelenat P, Ayel JP, Jacquesson L, Bontoux LM, Solal P, Hazout A. Ethanol sclerotherapy: a treatment option for ovarian endometriomas before ovarian stimulation. Reprod Biomed Online. 2009;19(1):121-5. [DOI:10.1016/S1472-6483(10)60055-7]
- André GM, Vilarino FL, Christofolini DM, Bianco B, Barbosa CP. Aspiration and ethanol sclerotherapy to treat recurrent ovarian endometriomas prior to in vitro fertilization-a pilot study. Einstein. 2011;9(4):494-8. [DOI:10.1590/s1679-45082011ao2081] [PMID]
- Ikuta A, Tanaka Y, Mizokami T, Tsutsumi A, Sato M, Tanaka M, et al. Management of transvaginal ultrasound-guided absolute ethanol sclerotherapy for ovarian endometriotic cysts. J Med Ultrason. 2006;33(2):99-103. [DOI:10.1007/s10396-005-0079-2] [PMID]
- Noma J, Yoshida N. Efficacy of ethanol sclerotherapy for ovarian endometriomas. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2001;72(1):35-9. [DOI:10.1016/S0020-7292(00)00307-6]
- Hsieh CL, Shiau CS, Lo LM, Hsieh TT, Chang MY. Effectiveness of ultrasound-guided aspiration and sclerotherapy with 95% ethanol for treatment of recurrent ovarian endometriomas. Fertil Steril. 2009;91(6):2709-13. [DOI:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.03.056] [PMID]
- Chang MY, Hsieh CL, Shiau CS, Hsieh TT, Chiang RD, Chan CH. Ultrasound-guided aspiration and ethanol sclerotherapy (EST) for treatment of cyst recurrence in patients after previous endometriosis surgery: analysis of influencing factors using a decision tree. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2013;20(5):595-603. [DOI:10.1016/j.jmig.2013.03.004] [PMID]
- Aflatoonian A, Rahmani E, Rahsepar M. Assessing the efficacy of aspiration and ethanol injection in recurrent endometrioma before IVF cycle: A randomized clinical trial. Iran J Reprod Med. 2013;11(3):179-84.
- Vercellini P, Somigliana E, Viganò P, Abbiati A, Barbara G, Crosignani PG. Surgery for endometriosis-associated infertility: a pragmatic approach. Hum Reprod. 2009;24(2):254-69. [DOI:10.1093/humrep/den379] [PMID]