Health Department, School of Nursing & Midwifery”, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Midwifery and Reproductive Health Research Center”, “Midwifery & Reproductive Health Department, School of Nursing and Midwifery”, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Aims: Women’s empowerment refers to empowering women to make independent decisions about significant life issues. Women’s empowerment affects demographic processes and fertility behaviors. The aim of this review was to investigate the factors related to empowering Iranian women’s fertility behaviors.
Information and Methods: This review examined all related studies conducted from 1997 to 2017 in Google Scholar, PubMed, Elsevier, Scopus, Proquest, Irandoc, SID, and Magiran using some keywords, i.e., fertility, empowerment, decision-making, and childbearing.
Findings: 31 articles related to the objective of the current study were finally selected and examined. The studies demonstrated that factors associated with empowering Iranian women’s fertility behaviors could be classified into four main categories: contextual, economic, socio-cultural, and moral and emotional factors.
Conclusion: Empowering women’s fertility behaviors is related to the contextual, economic, socio-cultural, and moral-emotional factors. By planning and making policies aimed at improving women’s position and educational and occupational facilities, improving social services and quality of life, and creating equal opportunities for getting access to facilities and credits, indicators of human development empowerment and women’s fertility behaviors can be promoted
- Mahmudian H, Pourrahim M. Value of Children in young couple and relationship with fertility (the case study of Behshahr city). Population. 2002;41:89-103. [Persian]
- Simbar M. Achievements of Iranian Family planning programs 1956-2006. East Mediterr Health J. 2012;18(3):279-86. [DOI:10.26719/2012.18.3.279]
- Hosseini H, Abbasi Shavazi MJ. Change of thinking and its impact on behavior and ideals Kurdish and Turkish women's fertility. J Womens Res. 2009;7(2):55-84.
- Mobasheri M, Alidosti M, Sorshajani S, Khosravi F, Khalafian P, Jalilian M. Determination of the most important factors influencing the fertility patterns of single child and without child families in Shahr-e-kord city in 2013. J Ilam Univ. 2013;21(6):63-70. [Persian]
- Ghodrati H, Yarahmadi A, Mokhtari M, Afrasiabi H. Analysis of social capital and fertility in urban regions of Sabzevar. J Arid Regions Geogr Stud. 2011;1(4):79-94. [Persian]
- Ider N, Dorosti AA. The effect of information and demographic attitudes on fertility behaviors of cultivators in Shushtar. J Soc Sci. 2012;6(18):199-226. [Persian]
- Khadivzadeh T, Arghavani E, Shakeri MT. Relationship between fertility motivations and preferences in couples. Iranian J Obstet Gynecol Infertil. 2014;17(114):8-18. [Persian]
- Hosseini H, Abbasi Shavazi MJ. Proximate Determinants of fertility among Kord and Tork women in the city of Uromieh: Usage of analytical Bongaart method. J Iranian Soc Stud. 2009; 4(2):20-38. [Persian]
- Amerian M, Kariman N, Janati P, Salmani F. The role of individual factors in decision making for the first childbearing. Payesh. 2016;15(2):143-51. [Persian]
- Kiani Z, Simbar M, Dolatian M, Zayeri F. Relationship between structural social determinants of health and women's empowerment in reproductive health. J Sch Public Health Institute of Public Health Res. 2015;13(2):1-15. [Persian]
- Shahbazin S, Gholami A, Shahbazin S. The Role of gender preference in reproductive behavior of women in the city of Kangavar. J Ilam Univ Med Sci. 2015;22(6):133-42. [Persian]
- Froozanfar S, Majlessi F, Rahimi Forroshani A, Pourreza A. Assessment of the relationship between empowerment and reproductive behavior. Daneshvar. 2012;19(99):39-46. [Persian]
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP). Human development report, Global human development indicators [Internet]. New York: United Nations Development Programme; 2018 [cited 2018 May 21]. Available from: http://hdr.undp.org/en/countries/country%20_fact_sheets/cty_fs_I%20RN.html
- Kohan S, Simbar M, Taleghani F. Empowerment in family planning as viewed by Iranian women: a qualitative study. J Biosoc Sci. 2012;44(2):209-19. [DOI:10.1017/S0021932011000563] [PMID]
- Saberi T, Ehsanpour S, Mahaki B, Kohan S. Comparison of the relationship between women' empowerment and fertility between single-child and multi-child families. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2018;23(2):131-5.
- Norouzi L. The effect of socioeconomic factors Fertility rate of women. J Plann Budget. 1996:(30);61-78.
- Hosseinzadeh AH, Noohjah S, Sharifi M. Age marriage fertility pattern and using family planning method among different ethnic groups in the city of Ahvaz, in 2009. J Soc Sci. 2010;4(8):67-96. [Persian]
- Keshavarz H, Ansari E, Koohi Habibi Dehkordi Sh, Hosseinpour K. Effective Factors the Fertility Behavior in Shahr-e-Kord. J Health Syst Res. 2015;11(1):143-52. [Persian]
- Hosseinzadeh AH, Entezari A, Ghazlavi A. Ethinicity and Fertility: With Emphasis on Women's Fertility Arab and Non-Arab Ethic Groups Living In the City of Ahvaz. Q J Soc Dev. 2013;8(1):187-212. [Persian]
- Hosseini H, Bagi B. Socioeconomic, cultural and demographic determinants of childbearing desires among married women attending health centers in Hamedan (2012). J Kermanshah Univ Med Sci. 2014;18(1):35-43. [Persian]
- Abazari F, Arab M, Abbaszadeh A. Relationship of unwanted pregnancy and fertility behavior in pregnant women who visited maternity wards of Kerman hospitals. Q J Reprod Infertil. 2003;4(1):39-46. [Persian]
- Dorahaki A. Determinants of women's ideal fertility: study of women 15 to 49 year old in Nasimshar city in 2015. Razi J Med Sci. 2016;22(141):59-69. [Persian]
- Abbasi Shavazi MJ, Khani S. Economic insecurity and fertility: Case study of married women in Sanandaj district. J Popul Assoc Iran. 2014;9(17):37-76. [Persian]
- Zare N, Sayadi M, Rezaeeyan Fard E, Ghaem H, Vosough M. Comparison of generalized and multilevel Poisson regression model with Poisson model in fertility data in rural of Fars province (Iran). J Babol Univ Med Sci. 2010;12(2):35-40. [Persian]
- Gafarinasab E, Mosavat E, Ghaseminejad MA. The Study living conditions associated with female fertility in Iran (based on secondary analysis of 2011 census). Nurs J Vulnerable. 2016;3(8):59-75. [Persian]
- Kheshavarz H, Bahramian M, Mohajerani AA, Hosseinpour K. Factors affecting differences in fertility behavior of Resident and migrating tribes of Samirom. Health Syst Res. 2012;8(3):456-65. [Persian]
- Kavehfirouz Z, Zare B, Shamsedini H. The effect of life style dimension on attitudes towards childbearing among married women in Tehran City. Women Dev Politics. 2016;14(2):217-34. [Persian]
- Hajipour L, Hosseini Tabaghdehi M, Taghi Zoghi Z, Behzadi Z. Empowerment of pregnant women. J Holist Nurs Midwifery. 2016;26(3):16-24. [Persian]
- Abbasi Shavazi MJ, Alimandegarie M. The effects of various dimensions of women's autonomy on fertility behavior in Iran. Women Dev Politics. 2010;8(1):31-51. [Persian]
- KavehFirouz Z, Karami F. Assessment of the impact of family power structure on fertility rate in Tehran City. Women Dev Politics. 2015;13(2):291-308. [Persian]
- Mahmoodian H, Noubakht R. Religion and fertility: An analysis of the fertility of Shiite and Sunni women in Galedar city of Fars province. Biannaual J Soc Probl Iran. 2010;1(1):195-215. [Persian]
- Khadivzadeh T, Arghavani E. Relationship between Religious Beliefs and fertility preferences among Engaged couples, referring to premarital counseling centers of Mashhad, Iran. J Midwifery Reprod Health. 2014;2(4):238-45.
- Mohammadi M, Rastergar Khaled A. Cultural changes, and reduce fertility in Iran (Based on second analyze of data of Iranianâs survey values and attitudes). J Appl Soc. 2015;26(2):159-80. [Persian]
- Kazemipoor Sh, Edrisi A, Sadeghi Vishkaei H. Social Factors Affecting Fertility Rate in the Family. Soc Stud Iran. 2012;2(5):57-75. [Persian]
- Hosseini H, Askari Nodoushan A, Moradi N. A comparative study of childbearing desires of Shia and Sunni Kurdish women in rural areas of Kamyaran. J Woman Fam Stud. 2016;4(1):63-84. [Persian]
- Etowa JB. Becoming a mother: the meaning of childbirth for African-Canadian women. Contemp Nurse. 2012;41(1):28-40. [DOI:10.5172/conu.2012.41.1.28] [PMID]
- Rajabi M, Hasheminia F. Value of children and fertility in the city of Shiraz. J Popul Assoc Iran. 2013;8(15):23-42. [Persian]
- Golmakani N, Fazeli E, Taghipour A, Shakeri MT. Relationship between gender role attitude and fertility rate in women referring to health centers in Mashhad in 2013. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2015;20(2):269-74.
- Foroutan Y. A population understanding about women's employment, with a notation on Iran situation. J Popul Assoc Iran. 2008;3(6):171-92. [Persian]
- Khadivzadeh T, Latifnejad Roudsari R, Bahrami M. The influence of gender role and women's empowerment on couples' fertility experiences in urban society of Mashhad, Iran. J Midwifery Reprod Health. 2014;2(3):170-9.
- Afshari Z, Kakavand S. The impact of gender inequality on growth, fertility, and labor productivity in Iran. Q J Womens Stud sociol psychol. 2016;14(2):7-33. [Persian]
- Hajizadeh Bandeghara F, Jannesari Sh, Ozgoli G, Nasiri M. Positive effect of woman's empowerment on childbearing: more children in working woman. Iran J Obstet Gynecol Infertil. 2017;19(37):51-61. [Persian]
- Afshari Z. The Socio-economic determinants of fertility in Iran (panel data approach). Q J Econ Growth Dev Res. 2016;6(22):13-20. [Persian]
- Kiani Z, Simbar M, Dolatian M, Zayeri F. Correlation between social determinants of health and women's empowerment in reproductive decision-making among Iranian women. Glob J Health Sci. 2016;8(9):312-21. [DOI:10.5539/gjhs.v8n9p312] [PMID]
- Kariman N, Simbar M, Ahmadi F, Vadadhir A. Socioeconomic and emotional predictors of decision making for timing motherhood among Iranian women in 2013. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014;16(2):1-8. [DOI:10.5812/ircmj.13629]
- Askari Nodoushan A, Abbasi Shavazi MJ, Sadeghi R. Mothers, daughters and Marriage. Strateg Stud Women. 2009;11(44):7-36. [Persian]
- Abbasi Shavazi MJ, Razeghi Nasrabad H. Patterns and factors affecting between marriage and first birth in Iran. J Popul Assoc Iran. 2012;5(9):75-105. [Persian]
- Kohan Sh, Simbar M, Taleghani F. Women's experience regarding the role of health centers in empowering them for family planning. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2012;17(2):150-6.
- Ghodrati H, Boustani D, Ghodrati A, kalali A. Analyze the relationship between gender equality in family and women's reproductive Case Study: married women 20 to 40 years old in Sabzevar. J Arid Regions Geogr Stud. 2013;3(11):75-91. [Persian]
- Kabeer N. Gender equality and women's empowerment: A critical analysis of the third millennium development goal. Gend Dev. 2005;3(1):13-24. [DOI:10.1080/13552070512331332273]