Obstetrics & Gynecology Department, Medicine Faculty, Iran University of medical science, Tehran, Iran
Introduction: Heterotopic pregnancy or combination of intra and extra- uterine pregnancy is very rare, but its incidence increased sharply in recent years due to the development of medically assisted reproductive technology. This condition carries a significant maternal morbidity and mortality due to the risk of rupture of ectopic pregnancy. This study was a case report of heterotopic pregnancy.
Patient Information A 25 year old pregnant woman with abdominal pain and nausea and vomiting was admitted in 12 March 2018 in Firoozgar hospital that ultrasound examination suggested heterotopic pregnancy and laparotomy and left salpingectomy was performed, and intrauterine pregnancy continued. Conclusion A high index of suspicion can help in timely diagnosis and appropriate intervention and decrease the risk of complications and maternal mortality.
- Poujade O, Ducarme G, Luton D. Cornual heterotopic pregnancy: A case report. J Med Case Rep. 2009;3:7233. [DOI:10.4076/1752-1947-3-7233] [PMID]
- Pisarska MD, Carson SA. Incidence and risk factors for ectopic pregnancy. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1999;42(1):2-8. [DOI:10.1097/00003081-199903000-00004] [PMID]
- Tal J, Haddad S, Gordon N, Timor-Tritsch I. Heterotopic pregnancy after ovulation induction and assisted reproductive technologies: A literature review from 1971 to 1993. Fertil Steril. 1996;66(1):1-12. [DOI:10.1016/S0015-0282(16)58378-2]
- Anderson J, Patterson C, Riley A. Heterotopic interstitial pregnancy: A case report. Case Rep Womens Health. 2018;17:8-10. [DOI:10.1016/j.crwh.2018.02.003] [PMID]
- Jiang Y, Chen J, Zhou H, Zheng M, Han K, Ling J, et al. Management and obstetric outcomes of 17 heterotopic interstitial pregnancies. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018;18:78. [DOI:10.1186/s12884-018-1700-x] [PMID]
- Brown NE, Singer SA, Suyama J. Delayed detection of spontaneous bilateral tubal ectopic pregnancies after methotrexate treatment. J Emerg Med. 2017;53(4):563-7. [DOI:10.1016/j.jemermed.2017.06.011] [PMID]
- Timor-Tritsch IE, Monteagudo A. Unforeseen consequences of the increasing rate of cesarean deliveries: Early placenta accreta and cesarean scar pregnancy, a review. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012;207(1):14-29. [DOI:10.1016/j.ajog.2012.03.007] [PMID]
- Mohammed ABF, Farid I, Ahmed B, Ghany EA. Obstetric and neonatal outcome of multifetal pregnancy reduction. Middle East Fertil Soc J. 2015:20(3):176-81. [DOI:10.1016/j.mefs.2015.01.001]
- Al-Shelaly UE, Al-Mousa NH, Kurdi WI. Obstetric outcomes in reduced and non-reduced twin pregnancies, a single hospital experience. Saudi Med J. 2015;36(9):1122-5. [DOI:10.15537/smj.2015.9.11606] [PMID]
- Vikhareva O, Nedopekina E, Herbst A. Normal vaginal delivery at term after expectant management of heterotopic caesarean scar pregnancy: A case report. J Med Case Rep. 2018;12(1):179. [DOI:10.1186/s13256-018-1713-0] [PMID]
- Headley AJ, Adum V. Naturally occurring heterotopic pregnancy in a multiparous patient: A case report. J Reprod Med. 2013;58(11-12):541-4.